The Italian Ministry of the Environment in 2002 established the Marine Protected Area of Capo Gallo-Isola delle Femmine. The area of the marine reserve is divided into zones A‚ B and C referring to the different levels of protection.
The objectives that the MPA intends to pursue:
- environmental protection of the marine area
- protection and enhancement of biological and geomorphological resources
- dissemination of knowledge of the ecology and biology of marine environments.
- carrying out educational programs for the improvement of general culture in the field of ecology and marine biology.
- carrying out study and scientific research programs in the fields of ecology‚ marine biology and environmental protection.
- the promotion of a socio-economic development compatible with the naturalistic-landscape importance of the area.
Diving within the MPA Capo Gallo - Isola delle Femmine is characterized by a good visibility and a pleasant temperature for many months of the year.
The presence of a rich and varied flora and fauna identifies the particularity of this environment making it suggestive and exciting.
It is easy to observe‚ in their natural environment‚ specimens of groupers‚ ducts‚ amberjacks‚ bream‚ damsels with bright colors‚ scorpion fish‚ moray eels‚ lobbers and hidden in the small hollows of the rocks‚ starfish‚ salpes‚ octopusses‚ sponges ‚ sea hares‚ and for especially for underwater photographers a variety of nudibranchs and snails. But there’s more: the morphology of the seabed and dramatic landscapes are stunning and create plays of lights that color the background of your dive scenery. In addition the waters of Isola delle Femmine and its surroundings are a real archaeological heritage. Here there are in fact remains of all kinds‚ from finds from the Greek and Roman ages‚ to more recent finding. A very popular example is the wreck Junkers-52‚ the carcass of a German three-engine plane sunk in 1942 in the nearby bay of Sferracavallo.
We are firmly convinced that everyone should enjoy what the sea offers in the best possible way and in absolute respect of the environment. During all our activities‚ we pay a lot of care and attention to safeguard all that beauty that lies below the surface‚ both for us and for future generations. Because of this‚ we actively participate in projects for the protection of the marine environment and organize awareness campaigns ourselves‚ such as Scuola d’Amare‚ Project AWARE Finathon Fundraising‚ Project AWARE Adopt at Dive site and Dive Against Debris.
You too can help us. Find out how!